Week 7 Prompt - The Power of Celebrity Book Clubs

 It all started with Oprah. I remember when I was little and my mom searching high and low for books that were endorsed by "Oprah's Book Club." Even today, Oprah has a serious amount of pull in terms of book endorsements and recommendations. However, a few more celebrities have joined the efforts now. 

After reading through the article from Variety for this week, I'm still at a loss. To me, having your book endorsed by a celebrity book club is almost a double-edged sword for both the author and the reader. On the one hand, for a book to be not only recommended but endorsed by a celebrity as influential as Oprah or Reese Witherspoon is a big deal, but on the other hand, a part of me wonders how much the general population is reading these books because they truly are great works of literature or simply because a celebrity endorsed them. 

I, personally, don't hold much stock in what celebrity book clubs have to say, because I've been burned too many times by these recommendations. The only "book club" book I have actually read and fully enjoyed was The Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley. But I read that for the mystery aspect and the fact that it was a story about Indigenous people by an Indigenous person, so really, in my opinion there was no downside. However, I have read plenty of others and would definitely classify them as "good premise, bad book." This list includes The House in the Pines by Ana Reyes and Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. On the other hand, most of  the titles just really don't interest me in the slightest. Rarely will you find true crime, truly decent thriller and suspense (that's not James Patterson or Gillian Flynn), or sapphic books. I have noticed a great many of the books that end up on celebrity book lists are the same ones on best sellers lists, which I understand, but I immediately lose interest in a book when it's suddenly "the hot new thing" and that's because those books usually don't hold my interest, because I have a very different reading style compared to most. So lists like this just don't do anything for me.  

For those people that love reading these kinds of books, that's great! I'm glad there are curated lists. This is one benefit I can see of having celebrity book club recommendations - it aids in patron recommendations. I know we have quite a few patrons that come up to the desk and ask for books from Oprah's and Reese Witherspoon's lists, which makes it easy to google and cross-reference in our system. So overall, this is a beneficial reader advisory tool, for the most part. 

Comments

  1. Hi Kayla, Maybe we looked into different celebrity lists, but I thought I saw a trend towards smaller and/or newer authors. Of course, once they are selected by a celebrity, they often become best-sellers. It didn't seem to me that celebrities often selected books that were written by already best-selling authors. I'm sure not all authors appreciate being associated with a particular celebrity, but I think many would appreciate the boost in sales and notoriety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you're saying, and maybe that's how it started out originally, but I have seen a lot of bigger authors endorsed by these book lists in the last few years, and it just makes me wary... Coupled with the fact that just about every one I've read - at the recommendation of these book lists - just really wasn't good writing at all. So it makes me question whether people are reading some of these things just because Oprah or Reese endorsed it, not because it actually deserves the attention.

      Delete
  2. I haven't looked into it much, but I'm of the mind that publishers probably send ARCs to celebrities hoping to end up on their lists, much like they send them to reviewers for sites like Kirkus and Goodreads. It makes me wonder how these celebrities actually choose which books to read because they probably have so many books they're reading. Obviously they make choices like anyone else based on covers, summaries, genres, etc., but these lists have that level of expectation that a book is supposed to be good (although, like you mention, definitely not always the case). Which begs the question, how many books are they actually reading? Obviously their lives are significantly different from our own in terms of work loads, but people like Reese Witherspoon and Oprah are not often just hanging out, not doing anything. At least, that's my assumption based on how many different things they're connected with. So how exactly do they make these choices? There's so many things I'm curious about with celebrity book clubs.

    My library coworkers like to say, just because a book is published, doesn't mean it's good. I think the same can apply for celebrity book clubs, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have our own group of celebrity book list readers at my library, too. I like to somewhat keep track of who is recommending what so I can rattle off their next book to them, but man there are so many celebrity book clubs! Totally get where you're coming from with losing interest in the next hot read, haha. I'm the exact same way. Once something gets hyped way up, I can't help but feel like I'm going to be disappointed by it and I turn away from them :( I'm sure I'm missing out on some good books here and there because of it, but I think it's worth not wasting my time on a bunch of things I probably wouldn't enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kayla,
    I agree. I see the Reese's Book Club sticker on a book, and more often than not it's a book that does not sound interesting to me. I'm much more a fantasy/gothic romance sort of girl, and almost every endorsed book I see is a soft romance, drama, or soft thriller. Because of this, the sticker has almost become counterintuitive to me. I see the sticker and am immediately turned off because I think I won't like it from my knowledge of previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad celebrities like Oprah and Reese are getting people interested in reading. I personally don't read what they recommend though. Oprah had a couple of good ones, but I can't seem to get excited about their picks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful response! You got a lot of good discussion in the comments! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts