Review of Lock Every Door

 


Title: Lock Every Door
Author: Riley Sager
Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Originally Published July 2, 2019


Never disturb the other residents.
Absolutely no visitors.
Under no circumstances are you to spend a night away from the apartment.

These are the three simple rules presented to Jules Larsen when she officially accepts a job to apartment-sit in Manhattan's most exclusive and luxurious building - the Bartholomew. After a devastating break-up, Jules is sick of being broken-hearted and just plain broke. She's had enough of crashing on her best friend's couch, and the opportunity at the Bartholomew is the perfect opportunity to get some quick cash and get herself out of a tight situation. She is completely taken in by the grandeur of the building and the old-world architecture, and soon settles into her new quiet life in a luxury apartment. The rules seem simple enough, until she begins to get to know the residents and other apartment sitters, even finding a good friend in a young woman named Ingrid who reminds Jules of her beloved sister she lost. 

However, when Ingrid goes missing after confessing to Jules tat  the Bartholomew is not what it seems, Jules is thrust into a mystery much bigger than her and Ingrid. As she searches for answers about what happened to her friend, she discovers the Bartholomew's dark history that hints to the secrets lurking within its apartments and that Ingrid is not the first apartment-sitter to go missing. As Jules races to unmask a killer and bring the Bartholomew's secrets to light, she races against the clock to escape before she goes missing too. 

Riley Sager did a beautiful job breathing life into a gothic structure and creating a whole new character to interact with. This story is one I wanted to crawl inside of an relive as soon as it was over. Sager's third book is a powerhouse suspense thriller perfect for fans of Rosemary's baby.


Comments

  1. Hi Kayla, I'm a fan of Riley Sager and I'll have to read this one next! I LOVE any gothic elements in a book, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed his latest book, The Only One Left. Great review summing up the plot without giving too much away. I suppose I should grab my copy off my bookshelf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to read that one, but I did get it for Christmas this year, so it's currently sitting next to my bed, waiting to be read, but I'm excited to read it. Lock Every Door and Home Before Dark are my favorite by him so far.

      Delete
  2. Great review Kayla! I appreciate your thoughts. Generally, I'm not a huge fan of horror, and the cover of this book would not have appealed to me, but after reading your review, I am much more intrigued! It sounds like Lock Every Door has a lot of classic Gothic flavor, but with modern-day characters, and that definitely seems fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an amazing book. I understand how a lot of people classify it as horror, but I really would classify this one as suspense, because of the slow-burn in storytelling. There also aren't a ton of jump scares, like in traditional horror, if that helps any. Of all of Riley Sager's books, this is one I will always recommend. He started with stories that were more on the mystery side of things, but this was the first time he had introduced gothic appeals in his stories.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts